Learn aboutTrauma-Informed Care
Get in Touch
What is Trauma-Informed Care?
Sometimes children and adults experience trauma in their lives. Trauma can include:
- Separation from, or loss of, caregiver or loved one
- Multiple living situations early in life
- Medical and surgical procedures; intensive care hospitalization
- Natural disasters
- Violence or witnessing violence
- Death of a loved one
Individuals with trauma histories can be more likely to experience certain types of sensory processing and regulatory difficulties including:
- Hypersensitivity to touch, sound, or movements
- Sensory overload
- Difficulty regulating emotions
- Difficulty with sleep
- Problems with body awareness
- Excessive movement or touch seeking.
At Occupational Therapy Connections we have expertise and extensive experience providing trauma-informed care and sensory-based treatment to assist with related symptoms.
- Treatment is personalized and adjusted to the client’s needs for safety and symptom reduction.
- Treatment incorporates an understanding and respect for the trauma that has been experienced.
- Treatment works toward supporting a well-regulated nervous system and responses and improving sensory processing.
- Treatment provided by Occupational Therapy Connections is complementary and supportive to other services such as counseling and medical treatment.
If you are interested in learning more about Occupational Therapy Connections services or scheduling an evaluation, please contact us by calling (317) 581-1185.